Monday, July 25, 2005

Hardware and software...

I spent several years in software development. Working as a Product Manager at a high tech company in Silicon Valley, I learned how to take an idea and turn it into reality on the web. We did some cutting edge stuff which pushed the envelope on technology, business and product and ended up changing the world with bits and bytes. Unlike a lot of start-ups, my company, along with its ideas and products, are still thriving and successful, but I digress... Hardware is so different from software. Software is built on concept and intangible interaction of code. It is all ephermal and infinitely malleable. Given enough time, intellectual horsepower, and creatively, nearly anything can be done from organizing the world's information to moving billions of digital dollars! Maya Road is a place of hardware. You take an idea, put it to paper, and then need to find a way to bring it to reality. You pour your heart into the pantone colors, the exact dimensions of the mold, and the detailing of the packaging. It is hard to do, but fulfilling in a different way. Along the way, I have learned the properties of a rubber vs a metal mold, the limitations of tin as a medium, and the different weaves of fibers and ribbons. Coming from a civil engineering background, I used to love the tangible. It is hard to explain, but I loved the feel of the x-acto blade against the balsawood as I built the scale models. I loved to joints, the steel and the pitch of the roof. But then I learned to love the flexibility and nearly infinite ability of software. Now I am back. I guess I have come full circle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Oh my gosh! I love those robon slide thingies!!!! Another wow for the ribbon! Yummy!

8/06/2005 05:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home