Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Working out...

I hate working out. My sister is an exercise fiend, running marathons, jogging well into her 8th month of pregnancy, and the like. Me? I have always hated exercise. I mean loathed. I take after my mom in that I overheat really easily. I cannot really sweat to release heat, so as a kiddo in PE, my face would turn all red, and I would nearly faint in the sun. It is such as strange thing. I never saw it as much of a disorder, just a part of my life. But it made me really hate exercise and worry about heat stroke almost all of the time. So David and I go to walk after sunset, hike only in the shade and rarely go out to do hard physical activity during the day. It took him a long time to understand why I did not like going outside during the heat of the day. I think he was disappointed when we first got together and were married. He imagined weekends at national parks, hiking Half Dome, and running along the beach. But I could not do that without getting overheated and really getting sick. I have always been relatively thin, so even without working out much, it was not a big deal. But about a month ago, I took the gestational diabetes test, and it came back that my blood sugar was high. I had to go for a follow-up test which was thankfully normal. But I cannot rely on good genes to stay healthy, so I decided that it was time just to bite the bullet and start working out more. So I have been faithfully doing my time on the elliptical every day, 6 days a week. The 5th month of my pregnancy, I gained about 9 lbs, and then the 6th month, I gained 1 lb. So I guess it does make a huge difference. So I plan to work out throughout the rest of the pregnancy and beyond. How else will I have enough energy to chase after my new little boy? :) Oh yeah, one more thing. David and I did the toilet paper measurement that is on Caroline's blog and I have to say one thing. We have the SAME size waist... Hm... is that good or bad?

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle W. said...

you are looking very gorgeous in that photo!!!

Michelle

4/19/2006 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

You look FAB! I can so relate to the LOATHE exercise bit but am paying for it now. LOL!

4/19/2006 04:57:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

WOW! You look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

4/19/2006 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger justjohanna said...

i hate exercising too! good for you for doing it anyway.

4/19/2006 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger glo said...

i feel you on the working out... but good job at doing it anyways. I'm trying to work out too. I HATE running so for my cardio, i'm starting to swim. For some reason, I think i belong in the water. haha

Thanks for sharing your journey in pregnancy. I'll know who to ask for advise when it's my turn =)

4/19/2006 02:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Ralph said...

This is a great post thankks

6/02/2022 09:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home