Thursday, July 13, 2006

First days...

The past 4 days have been really hard. Parenthood is SO challenging, especially when your little guy has lungs like an opera singer, sleeps all day and cries all night. I have learned a few things about our little one already. His personality is already showing through in the things he does. A few of them are:

  1. He loves to sleep. He is like his mom and dad that way. But once he goes to sleep, he is like a log and refuses to wake, even to eat. We try everything just to get him to eat, but he just will not wake up until he is good and ready.
  2. When he cries, he cries hysterically. I mean, gasping for breath, scream until he is red in the face, hoarse type of crying. Let's face it, Jonathan has a great set of lungs on him.
  3. He gets so excited at the prospect of eating that not latching onto the breast immediately makes him go nuts. He shakes his head rapidly when he sees the breast coming, but then is too excited to latch on properly. Then he gets all frustrated and starts fussing up a storm.
  4. Likes to sleep on his side. If you put him on his back to sleep, he can already roll himself onto the side to get into a more comfortable position. I think this has to do with how he slept in mommy's tummy, but we have to watch him a lot to make sure he does not go face first into the crib.
  5. Loves his daddy holding him and rocking him. He and daddy spend a lot of sleepless nights together, so he is learning daddy's special touch.
  6. Already has a favorite chair. He likes it when grandma holds him in the leather office chair. He wants to be an executive when he grows up.
  7. Is a triple sneezer just like mom. There is a joke around the office that no one says "Bless you" until they count to three first. He has these cute little triple sneezes which is so cute.
  8. Is a night owl. He is always awake from about 10 to 2 am. David and I usually do not sleep until well after midnight especially during the pregnancy, and Jonathan was always the most active when we were getting ready for bed and going to sleep. I guess he is just like us in that way. But it is hard now since we know we have to get up at 2am, 4am, 6am and so on...

It has been quite an adventure the past few days, and I am shocked that the human race has not died out yet. I cannot believe people actually volunteer to have more kids after the first one! I am so exhausted that I can barely stay awake for more than a few hours at a time. It is amazing how a baby changes your life -- for the better, but man, what I would not give for 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

He is absolutely precious!!! You need to keep him up more during the day (harder said than done) and then try to nurse before he gets that fussy (again easier said that done - LOL!). Pretty soon it'll all be second nature to you 3 and time will pass, he'll get older, you'll see another newborn, and want a baby again. Like I said earlier, a VICIOUS cycle.... ;)

7/13/2006 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger corinne5 said...

what a pecious little boy. I read that you had a vacuum with his birth. I had this too. My son has gotten the kiss-syndrome because of it(sorry my english is not that good to explain, but it means that in the neck the bones were moved a bit because of the pulling, a lot of childeren get this after the vacuum birth) I am not saying that your son has this, but I do recognize a lot from what you tell me about him just in this short entry.) If he overstretches himselfs and sleeps on his side with his neck in his back you could email me). I walked around with my son for 7 months before I found out myself I won;t want you do go through the same, it totally broke me up. hopefully you won;t think of me as a nutcase, lol, just a mother to a mother.

corinnexxx

7/14/2006 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

He looks soooo sweet! Congratulations!!

Fortunately, the lack of sleep and sheer exhaustion from taking care of a baby for the first few weeks leaves you in a such a fog that you won't remember just how hard this time is! Sending peaceful NIGHT sleep baby thoughts!

7/14/2006 03:10:00 AM  
Blogger Julie Ann Shahin said...

Congratulations on your baby!

7/14/2006 03:19:00 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

HE IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL BABY!!!!!!

7/14/2006 07:23:00 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Congratulations! The first couple weeks are the hardest, but after that the routine sets in and it gets easier. {{HUGS}} He's a gorgeous little man!

7/14/2006 07:34:00 AM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

Your son is ABSOLUTELY adorable. Congratulations! Hang in there, it only gets better! =)

7/14/2006 07:39:00 AM  
Blogger Joanna Bolick said...

Oh, I am SOOOOOO laughing out loud at the human race comment!! These first weeks are tough but it sounds like you're figuring it out. YOU WILL MAKE IT!! YOu will!! And he is so adorable, so make sure, even though you can barely keep your eyes open, to take lots and lots of photos because they stay small for like a nanosecond. Here's hoping you get sleep sooooooon!

7/14/2006 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

He's so handsome! Congrats on such a sweet baby! Yes, believe it or not you too will probably want to do this all again...shocking huh? LOL Best of luck!

7/14/2006 07:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home