Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Something big is coming...

You know, the reason C and I started Maya Road was twofold. One was because we love scrapbooking/paper arts and saw the need for a company which focuses on value and product, instead of marketing. And two was because we knew we wanted to have the flexibility to start families and someday leave our corporate jobs. On the first one, we are different from some other companies in this way. The price for a half page ad in a major scrapbooking magazine runs in the thousands of dollars. You have to sell a lot of chipboard to get even one ad in one magazine much less one in each of the 4 or 5 top publications. If you look around, you will see that some companies spend a lot marketing their products. Don't get me wrong. I love those ads, and I love seeing what comes out. And honestly, I sometimes secretly wish we could do tons of ads too! But early on, we decided to be very careful with our marketing budget so we can invest more in products. So instead of getting 50 chipboard letters, you get 60. Instead of getting a plastic sleeve packing, you get a reusable tin for the same or a lower price. Instead of 1 sheet of rubons for $3 or 4, you get 9 for $15. Someone pointed out to me at CHA Winter that something similar to our 5x7 binder (retails for $5 with 8 page inserts) is sold by another company for 20% more without inserts. Our business model is not right or wrong, but just different. But we rely a lot on word of mouth and the strength of our releases rather than buying tons of advertising. We still advertise, but we balance that with product investment as well. It is a fine line to walk as we plan our 2007 fiscal year. On the second point, C and I wanted to start our own business to get out of the corporate life someday. And she has done it very successfully. I am still working full time at a Silicon Valley company though I am currently on maternity leave (I am heading back in soon), but I also work full time at Maya Road. I have an insatiable appetite for work according to my DH, but I love every minute of both jobs. It is sometimes quite hard, but at the same time, I would not have it any other way. Family is very important to me and when I cannot balance it all, I know that is a sign it is time to give up the corporate world. I am so excited about a big announcement to come, but I cannot say any more for now. So wait until later this week... Until then, I leave you with this precious family photo. Look at Jonathan giving Noah a dirty look. :) Jonathan is definitely the more quiet of the two. Noah is an outgoing baby who is a total charmer. J is a little more relaxed and reserved. We will see how it goes as they grow more into their personalities in the next few months...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kip said...

Just wanted to say that I LOVE your products, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!

Kip

10/17/2006 03:31:00 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

Can't wait to find out what the big secret is! And to show my parents the beautiful photo when they come back from HK. ;)

10/17/2006 04:33:00 AM  
Blogger Laura Vigliarolo said...

Now I can't wait. Love the family shot.

10/17/2006 04:33:00 AM  
Blogger corinne5 said...

oh can't wait to hear the big news! I think you are doing a great job with MAya Road and your choices are wise I think business wise. I for one am planning to buy a lot of the new goodies!

corinnexxx

10/17/2006 05:57:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea Wiebe said...

i'm so excited to find out the big secret...what a beautiful picture, such a treasure :)

10/17/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Can't wait for the big secret!! What a lovely photo of your family!

10/17/2006 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger Meg McKenzie said...

Keep doing what you are doing, that's the great part about MR and it's products is the 'human' factor that cannot ever be bought or advertised in a mag! Love the family photo!

10/18/2006 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger GREETJE said...

You are doing great. Look at the orders you sell so much. Think of that. Bigger is not always better!!
Great picture
Greetje

10/18/2006 06:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home